Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Brain Scan

Since I have forgotten the weeks I'm on, I figure I'll just make up random titles! Thanks everyone for your support and continued reading. We have had some very interesting developments this week. First, Dad saw the neurologist this week and they took a new CT scan of Dad's brain. The bad news is Dad has a permanent hole the size of a quarter where the brain damage was. The good news is the neurologist thinks Dad should make a full recovery. Apparently, the neurons in the brain will connect around the hole and Dad will regain his speech. I just can't believe how amazing the brain is. Dad has a giant hole in his brain and he will be alright? Crazy!

While visiting the University Hospital Dad was able to meet several doctors and nurses who helped in his care while in the Nero Critical Care Unit. He also got to see the room that he had occupied while there. Dad thought this was the coolest thing ever. He has talked about it all day long. You can only imagine his delight to be able to say "Thank you" to those that helped him live.

We have been going down memory lane about the accident quite a bit this week. I spent the evening with Dad last night and he wanted to know what I did while he was in the hospital. I told him I would sit with him and sing to him. It's hard for Dad to comprehend what happened. Can you imagine what it would be like to be apart of an accident but unable to empathize (is that the right word or is it sympathize) because you can't remember it. That has got to be the weirdest feeling ever.

On the other hand this Saturday we got our new sound system equipment. Dad was extremely jazzed to start setting up the equipment and start learning how to use it. Dad was so excited that he was ready to start up our open mic night this Friday! He was ready to get on the phone and make calls and send out ads. We had to reign him in a little and we compromised by having a jam session with a few of his good friends! As for Dad's benefit I will keep you posted as that progresses. We need some time to get familiar with the sound system, how to work it, how to arrange, the best set up, etc... It's going to be awesome when we finally open.

Mom stays very busy taking care of Dad. I can't believe how busy they are. Dad has speech therapy, then vocational therapy, then a support group meeting, then the foot doctor, then... it just goes on and on. I can't believe how much Dad needs. I am amazed with how well Mom takes care of Dad. It is not an easy road to take care of someone.

Flipping things again, Mark, Dad's old friend came out today and took Dad up to Snowbasin to watch some snowboarding competitions. Dad had a great time and couldn't believe how much Snowbasin had changed. I hung out with Mom and Dad all day today. We didn't do much, just talked and tried to relax while my kids screamed all day!

Oh, I did notice something funny that I have been doing lately without even thinking about it. Whenever I am near Dad I always stand close enough to him that I am touching him. For instance, the other day I hung out with Dad and he was sitting on the couch. Well, instead of sitting on the other side of the couch I sat down right next to him so that we were squished to one side. I didn't notice until later that evening when I went to sit down and did the same thing. I don't know, I think it's just nice to feel his warm arm against mine and to think that I almost lost that. One dan't take anything for granted...ever.

2 comments:

  1. that is great news about the expected full recovery! the human body amazes me!!! Sounds like they are really keeping busy, holy cow! but honestly, I think it probably helps in his recovery. I mean, better than staying couped up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing news and really helps knowing the light at the end of the tunnel is full recovery. And, I know a lot of work is going towards that end. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Byron and Evelyn

    ReplyDelete