Monday, December 21, 2009

Week 7 of Jim's Recovery

Well, since I am now writing on a weekly basis I have to change the titles to each of my entry's. Dad went into the hospital on the night of November 3rd, so I am just counting that entire week as number one. So anyways, this week has been great! Dad improves just a little everyday.

At the beginning of the week Dad decided he wanted to make some Chili Verde. Mom called me and told me that Dad would be making dinner. I offered to come over with my recipe Dad had given me and just keep an eye out in case Dad had trouble remembering what was needed. I grabbed Ramie from school and stopped at the store to pick up something for Mom before heading out to their house. As I was leaving the store my phone rang. I looked at who was calling and it said "Dad's Cell." I thought perhaps Mom was calling on Dad's phone because I hadn't talked to Dad on the phone since before his accident. I didn't even think he could use the phone yet! Well, you probably could understand my surprise when I answered and Dad was on the other end. Here's how the conversation went!

"Hey Dad, I'm surprised to have you call me."
"Yes, well I was wondering if you were coming out for dinner? I made some of my stuff."
"Yeah, Mom told me you were making Chili Verde. You already made it?"
"Yeah, that's it, but I need some more of those things that you put in the stuff."
"Chili's?"
"Yeah, chili's. Could you get me some of those?"
"Sure, anything else?"
"Nope, see you in a bit. Bye."
"Bye!"

Okay two things about this. First, this is how Dad talks. So whenever you talk with Dad it's like you have to be one step ahead of him so that you know what "stuff" he is talking about! Dad gets frustrated because he knows what he wants to say but can't remember the words. He does a good job of either spelling the word or drawing a picture. Usually, if you give him a minute he can explain what he wants. I think with Mom, Erin, and I we don't let him describe what he wants enough because we are always one step ahead of him in the conversation. It's hard for us to remember to let him explain things first before giving him the word he is looking for.

Second, I couldn't believe Dad had made the Chili Verde all on his own! I thought for sure that he would need help remembering the recipe, but he made it without the recipe! When I got there I was surprised to see that the dishes were all done also. Mom said that Dad cooked and cleaned the dishes all himself!! EXCELLENT. Then I thought that the Chili Verde would not taste very good. Again, to my surprise it was excellent! I think it was even better then when Dad made it before. Dad may have a hard time remembering words but his excellent cooking skills are still there. It's so hard to believe that it is only his speech that has been affected.

Then Wednesday Aunt Jody and Uncle Tom came in town. Jody is Dad's sister. It was so wonderful to have them in town and to be able to visit with Dad. Dad had a great time visiting with them. You know you look at people differently when you think you have lost them. To watch Dad and Jody together was wonderful. They have always been friends but, I don't know, to watch them from afar I could almost get a sense of what it would have been like to watch them as kids. It's kind of a sobering moment when you see your parents and relatives as children or as humans other then your parents or relatives. Do you know what I mean? It was so wonderful to watch Dad and Jody listening to music on the Internet, I could see the brother and sister love between them. It was really cool. Sorry if that sounds cheesy. It's just really hard to explain.

The greatest thing that happened this week, I think, was that Dad sang in church. He wanted to play his guitar and wasn't sure if he could sing the words. We let Dad choose the song, which was "Jehovah, the Lord will Provide." This was sung by Harry Belefonte and is Dad's favorite Christmas song. Actually, the Harry Belefonte Christmas album is a huge Crowley Family tradition. If you haven't listened to it, do. It's not officially Christmas until we listen to this album. I think it started with my Grandma Rachel because she had the record and played it all the time.

So our little choir group practiced the song on Saturday. Dad had a hard time remembering the verses, so we had Dad sing the chorus and we sang the verses. It was simple, sweet, and the most beautiful song I have ever heard. Dad played his guitar and had the song down flawless. Then on Sunday, Dad said a few words to the congregation before we sang. He told everyone that he hadn't forgotten a thing about the Bountiful Community Church or about the people. He said he has forgotten names, but not faces! He said he was so thankful for everyone and all their friendship. Dad said that he cries all the time now. He said that before the accident he saw crying as a weakness but now he has learned that it is the best way to express emotion because it is so powerful. He said that crying actually shows love not weakness and he is happy that he can now cry. He also said that he has always felt the love of the people at church but that he now knows the love of Jesus. Dad has NEVER said that before.

One thing I am so thankful for this season is the gift of miracles. Everyone has miracles in their lives. Sometimes we just can't see them at the time. Dad's fall has been a miracle and a curse. No one is more blessed over another, we weren't more blessed then the next person because Dad made it through this. We just are. We are thankful. We are sad. We will continue. We will remember. We will never take for granted. We will hug. We will love. We will help. We will appreciate life with all it's ups and downs.

We wish everyone a Merry Christmas, a Healing Christmas, and a Hopeful New Year.

P.S. If you would like to see Dad play his guitar. I think he will be playing at the Christmas Eve service at the Bountiful Community Church. All are welcome to come. It starts at 11:00PM. I don't know the exact address.

3 comments:

  1. So good to hear of Jim's continuing healing and progress. You have all been in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep me in yours, as this is a difficult time for me and also the rest of your Tulsa Crowley cousins. As I read your update, I couldn't help but think of the saying "Tears unite the individual's soul with all of humanity. They are man's deepest expression of love." Glad to hear that Jim played the quitar and sang in church==what a wonderful blessing. The merriest of Christmases to one and all. Love you, Bette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Jim today! He just seemed like Jim! I couldn't believe it! and I LOVE his chili verde. the day of the cook off i begged him for the recipe. I ran across it just the other day and thought of him. So, I was so glad to see him, and I am glad for the miracle your family is sharing in! God Bless!

    Oh - I pass a church on Orchard/400 east-ish every day to work. Is that the one? the marquee says 11pm service on the 24th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you described so well Jamie sounds like what we listened to in a recent meditation tape on "Loving Kindness". And, any medical crisis does have a blessing side to it. You appreciate experiences that usually go unnoticed and get to express emotions, including crying, to all the people that matter in our life. Hope you all have a happy family Christmas. Our love and prayers are with you all.

    Byron and Evelyn

    ReplyDelete